Wednesday, April 7, 2010

PT, My Heart, Marathons, Etc

Over the past couple of weeks, I have talked with many people about completing my first marathon. Some people knew I was running it and asked me about it, for others it just came up in conversation. What I found most interesting about these conversations was how many people have no idea about how long a marathon actually is. Even before I ever dreamed of running one, I knew what the distance was. Let me give you an example, I was getting my hair cut, and after the typical "How's your day?", "Where do you work?", etc, the hair dresser/cutter (or whatever) and I began talking about fitness and the topic of running and my marathon came up. "Where did you run it?", etc, and then "Oh, do you do any around here, like the Turkey Trot." For those of you in the area the Turkey Trot is an 8K race on Thanksgiving. I guess I should be impressed that she could name any race, but I wasn't. I think I learned about marathon lengths in middle school, maybe even in phys. ed. Am I becoming a running snob? Anyway...she wasn't the only one, I think I had to explain the distance at least 4 times. Maybe I just shouldn't talk about it with anyone.

The week after the marathon, I had my physical. I have a family history of heart issues, so I got a EKG, which, of course, came out abnormal. Next a stress test and echo cardiogram. Apparently, I have a enlarged ventricle something or other, so I have to go back for a follow up. The doctor says its probably just a result of my increased exercise, but better safe than sorry.

I also started PT for my nagging hip injury. The therapist that worked with me was great! Basically, he thinks it a hip strength issue and gave me some strengthening exercises. Hopefully, that's all it is.

Oh, yeah...this week's workouts...

Monday
Mileage: 4.00
Time/Pace: 37:00/9:15
Avg HR: 148
Strength, Core

Tuesday:
30min Bike, 30min Aqua Jog
Core

Today:
Mileage: 3.00 (treadmill)
Time/Pace: 27:40/9:13

No comments:

Post a Comment