Monday, November 30, 2009

Destination 26.2

That's right. Next goal, marathon. The Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach on March 21, 2010 to be exact. This gives me exactly 16 weeks of preparation. I've been looking at training programs for the last few weeks and have decided on using Runner's World Smart Coach.

This program includes 4 days/week running and cross-training, 3 weeks of mileage increase and 1 week of lower mileage, one long run per week, one speed workout per week and two easy runs.

It is interesting to me because it asks questions about your current training, how hard you want to train and a recent race time. If I follow this program it suggests that I will be able to run the marathon in 3:36:32, a 8:15 pace.

We shall see...

I'm hoping to add some upper body workouts, swim at least one day per week and do The Wall bike cross training as well. I know this is a lofty goal, but I've been stuck at this weight for a few months now and would like to see a breakthrough. I will sprinkle in local races as well, and hopefully lower my PR's.

1 comment:

  1. Excited to see that you want to run a marathon! Good luck in your training! I hope to do my first next year, too.

    ReplyDelete