Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Shoes and Some Cold Weather Gear Testing

It feels like we are in the dead of winter now, so when better than now to test out some new gear.


The first "new" item is a pair of shoes I actually bought in October that have been sitting on the shelf patiently waiting for their turn. Well today was their special day...


Saucony Pro Grid Razor: It kind of looks like a basketball high-top, but is a waterproof trail-running shoe with a built in gator. This shoe combined with my Darn Tough wool socks seem to be the answer for this winter's running for me. I ran about 5 miles with no issue, the shoe fits nicely, and give my fore foot a bit more room than the Puma Night Fox's I have been running in.
I've had terrible issues lately with cold hands. I recently purchased a pair of Manzella convertable glove/mittens. These are much warmer than the previous pair of Under Armour gloves that I had used last winter. However, I noticed my hands still getting cold in the longer runs. Today I combined a thin Under Armour glove, I use typically in 40-45 degree range with the Manzella's over them. A tighter fit, but PERFECT!
Today's Run
Mileage: 5.00
Time/Pace: 40:37/8:07
Avg HR/Max HR: 151/163
Elevation: 349ft
T/W 19 (WC 6), light snow, wind
With the full winter gear on, I did notice that I struggled more than usual to keep pace and my avg heart rate was higher. Ah the joys of winter running.

No comments:

Post a Comment