Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Real Darkness

I dragged myself out of bed at 4am, in anticipation of a 20-mile long run. As soon as I woke I began to bargain with myself; go to bed for another hour and split the run in to two 10-mile runs. Forget running at all, etc, etc. I fought through it and was out by 4:15am.

It wasn't a terribly cold morning, about 50 or so, gusty wind at times, but overall tolerable. It was DARK! I don't just mean nighttime darkness that I would experience any typical morning or night, I mean pitch black, no light from anywhere. Now that I am spending my weeks in the countryside, I will be experiencing this much more, which means another new gadget for me to purchase, a headlamp.

So the run itself was tough. I'm not used to such rolling hills, but I kept telling myself it was going for me. The first half was fine, but the second half, especially 18-20, were just plain ugly. I missed my pace by a few seconds per mile, but again this is due to the hills. I can only get stronger from this right?

Mileage: 20.00
Time/Pace: 3:17:50/9:53
Avg HR/MaxHR: 140/157
Elevation Gain: 1520 ft
T/W: 50/overcast, breezy, light drizzle at times

No comments:

Post a Comment