Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall Plan

So, now that I finished my first half-marathon, I'm thinking, what's next? For the next 2+ months my plan is to work on increasing mileage and to run a couple of races each month through November. I will then begin training for my first marathon (March 21 in Virginia Beach). I will be increasing my mileage by about 10% each week with a "rest week" (lower mileage every fourth week. I will not be doing any speed training during this time, but I will be incorporating a long run in the mix. I'm looking to peak at 34 miles/week with a long run of 14 miles. The final race before my marathon training will be the YMCA Turkey Trot. I have done this race in the past two years, but I have never trained for it or done any serious running before it. I haven't decided on which marathon training plan to use or to design my own, but I will be researching this over the next couple of months. It you have any suggestions please do share.

Other than running, I will continue my upper body resistance training and hope to incorporate some lower body work as well. I will continue swimming and biking as cross training.

1 comment:

  1. I too have been thinking, what's next???? I think I'm going to do the same as you, upping my mileage each week, as if I were training for a marathon. I feel really motivated to tackle one, but I'm still nervous about it. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete