Tuesday, July 13, 2010

3 Free Hours and Nothing to Do...

Why not take a little ride?

There is a loop on the Route 17 bike route in Broome County that I have been eyeing for weeks, but haven't had the nerve to try it. I've done parts of it, but never the entire loop. You see it's over 50 miles in length and has some pretty decent climbing. Today lined up well, though, so I figured what the hell!

The first 25 or so weren't too bad even with the tough hill in the middle (773 ft). I rewarded myself at the mid point by stopping at a gas station and purchased a Rice Krispies Treat and Vitamin water (about 550 calories total that I'd more than burn through before the end.)

Miles 30-40 were borderline miserable...riding this distance I've noticed three very irritating sore spots. In order of annoyance....

1) Saddle- wow! sore ass!
2) Toes-Kept going numb
3) Back of neck, upper shoulders, from holding my head up.

Miles 40-53- mostly downhill and a familiar part, enjoyable.

Another new experience, and overall a good time.

Mileage: 53.52
Time/Avg Sp/Top Sp: 3:06:41/17.1/42.4
Elevation Gain: 2294ft
Avg HR: 128
T/W: 77/cloudy

No comments:

Post a Comment