Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chilly Challenge 5K

My race confidence has been low for the past three months or so. Since my best 5K time in November, my performances have been lackluster to say the least. Once I broke the 20 minute mark, I was determined to stay there, but the past three races were all over 20. The weather was somewhat of a factor in all of those events, but I still felt as though I could have and should have performed better.
This week was a low mileage week, so I was definitely feeling fresh. My wife and I also did a warm up mile before the race (I don't typically do this, but we might be on to something here!) The sun was out and while still cold, dare I say CHILLY (!?!), race conditions were about as perfect as to be expected for this time of year.

I felt strong throughout the race and after finishing the second mile I felt as though I could set a personal best. I spent the 2nd half of the race "targeting" one runner at a time, catching them and passing them, before aiming for the next. This helps me mentally. It keeps me focused on running with good form and gives me a very short term and simple goal. This is huge in distracting me from my body as it screams for me to stop.

Great results, a new personal best by 17 seconds...on to sub-19!

Mileage: 3.09
Time/Pace: 19:29/6:18
Avg HR/Max HR: 160/176
Elevation: 34ft

I came in 3rd in my age group and won this cool mug. Canisius HS organized a very nice event. Fantastic after party as well, the Chili was a perfect post-race party food.

Congrats also to my wife, who broke the 30-minute mark for the first time. She's also training for a 1/2 marathon at the beginning of May. Running has changed both of our lives for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment