Saturday, July 4, 2009

And The Winner Is.......

Not Me.

Great day for a race. Temperature at start time was about 60, slight breeze, overcast. I woke a couple of hours before the race, had some Fiber One and was on my way. I brought GU along of course, had one about 45 minutes before the start, another one 15 minutes before the gun and was ready to go.

I have never run this distance before, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I ran the Turkey Trot (8K) and did about a 9:40 or so mile. I felt as though I definately could do better than this. My best 5K was at about a 8:05 pace, so I settled for 9:15. During training, each split is usually slower than the last. In all the reading I have done, I noticed that I should be doing negative splits, so that was my other goal for the race. The first number was my goal the second my actual.

Mile 1: 9:25/9:19
Mile 2: 9:20/9:24
Mile 3: 9:15/9:11
Mile 4: 9:10/9:04
Mile 5: 9:05/8:57
Mile 6: 9:00/8:41
Last .2: 7:10 pace

Other than mile 2, I was successful at achieving this. What was more pleasing, was people that passed me in the first mile or so, I began passing at mile 3. That got me even more pumped and may have contributed to lower splits than I had planned for. Is it evil that I enjoy running past people, especially ones that look much more fit than I do?

Nice shirt from the race sponsor as well. Good job.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! You did exactly what you should do in a race --- you negative split and ran the second half of the race faster than the first. You've got it now! And if it's evil to enjoy passing people in the race, then I'm evil too...

    ReplyDelete