Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Prefontaine

I woke up early this morning got on the treadmill and began my 20 mile long run. Treadmill runs are dreadful, long runs are daunting, put them together; a seemingly intolerable 3 hrs.

Luckily, for me I have a DVR player in the workout room and lots of movie channels to record from. Today's choice was Prefontaine. I was a bit skeptical about watching this at first as I didn't know much about him. However, for the next 90+ minutes I wasn't thinking about anything, but this incredible story.

Now, for those of you that don't know anything about him, he was quite a remarkable runner (giant understatement), whose life and running career was cut short by a car accident. I know that I will never get a sniff at the Olympics, I won't break any world records, I won't inspire thousands of people around the world, but I can strive to run with the heart and desire that "Pre" ran with. When my legs or feet begin to ache and I want to give up, I can think about how he ran through and set a PR in the 5000m with a bloody foot held together by 14 stitches.

Needless to say, my 20 miles wasn't nearly as mind numbing as I had set it up to be.

Mileage: 20.00
Time/Pace: 3:01:30/9:03

Go, Pre, Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment